[Public-List] Refitting the rudder

David Scherrer nwlight at comcast.net
Mon Feb 1 13:26:24 PST 2021

George,
I would like to add that my 1967 Alberg has a solid fiberglass rudder. I had to use an impact drill to remove the slot headed 3/8 four inch partially  threaded bolts.
I also discovered that the bottom solid bronze bar that held the foot onto the shoe with a 2 bolts, had loosened from the base of the rudder itself. This was because the lower bolt that was threaded into the bar was broken.
I replaced all the slotted head bolts in the upper section(5)with fully threaded and imbedded them using epoxy and silicon micro balloons.
I also replaced the lower hex headed bolt threaded into the solid bar.
I inspected the rudder shoe(attached to the keel) and found it to be in good condition. Did remove the bronze bolt at the base (that bolts into the keel), and re bedded it using the epoxy/silicon combo.
David S.