[Public-List] Toe Rail Update

Greg Roberts greg at midnight-oil.us
Wed Feb 3 22:27:15 PST 2021

Hi Folks,
First, let me say thanks to everyone that has offered advice, both
here and via private emails!
I'm going to give it a try here at the dock and do it in sections.
Worst case, the yard behind me has a cradle on a track for hauling
boats that are too heavy for the crane.
I've decided to go with slotted toe rail (2807-24) and T track (2817)
from Crest Aluminum. At the stern I'm going to reconfigure the wood so
there is a path for water to drain straight back. I'll come up with a
scupper at the aft end of the T track. There needs to be room to
add/remove cars anyway. I'm still working on the bow. A router with a
carbide bit 'machines' aluminum rather well. I expect that the final
design will include cutting the extrusion so that a foot or so of the
side runs up alongside the stem fitting.
So three questions at this point:
1. What should I bed the extrusion with? I'm leaning towards butyl.2.
What should I seal the hull/deck joint with? I don't want to use 5200
as it's a PITA to remove and redo. I want something that works in a
caulking gun. I'm leaning towards Life Seal.3. How far back from the
bow should the fair leads be placed? I'm interested in what works best
on a mooring ball and with a bridle. Putting them close to the bow
simplifies the design but one I have is about 3ft back on the
starboard side. I'm guessing there might be a reason for it being back
that far. I have a bitt centered above the forward bulkhead.
Regards,
Greg
#43 Ayla