[Public-List] Every 20 minute job...

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Jan 19 12:46:15 PST 2021

I’ll never forget one January when I brought Charlie to my parents place as a guest… I’d negotiated space for the historic site we both worked for where Charlie would work displaying his traditional boatbuilding skills and our marine museum, during the run of the Toronto International Boat Show.

He was very well behaved at dinner, although he commented he couldn’t recall the last time he’d sat at a formal table in his life…and that he hadn’t seen Toronto since the 1950’s, although he lived just 90 minutes north of the city (I’m jest plain amazed Gordy, lookit all them lit up towers!)   After dinner, my Dad offered him a glass of scotch.   Charlies’s eyes literally sparkled and as he reached for it, he made a deep hissing sound that came from inside his chest.   He winked at me, then sipped politely.  After he finished it he confided ‘I knows Gordy there’s no way weese gunna slip out fer a real belt, so I’ll jest bide my time, don’t you worry.’

Ah, Charlie.

Gordon Laco
www.gordonlaco.com