[Public-List] cutlass housing replacement

Greg Wallis gregwallis at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 10:00:33 PST 2021

Hi,

I am in process of replacing the cutlass bearing,

Here's a link to my poor cutlass bearing housing.  Notice the ruined pipe
threads.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/198AJ_rMD7Lx8QrdksGXhIbeRR6_FPS9t/view

I took the cutlass bearing housing to a shop to have the new bearing
pressed in, and they proceeded to overcut the old bearing and cut two deep
groves lengthwise through the female pipe threads of the cutlass housing.
These threads connect the cutlass bearing housing to the stern tube.  So
now the threads are not going to be watertight.  I think that the threads
will still function, but they will most certainly leak.

I am hoping somebody has an identical alberg30 cutlass bearing housing that
they'd be willing to sell to me.  This would be the best.

If I can't find another one, I am considering to allow this fitting to leak
between the stern tube and the cutlass bearing housing.  I think I'd just
need to ensure that there is plenty of sealant around the outside of stern
tube where it exits the hull.  I guess some water would accumulate in that
space and wouldn't really have anywhere to go.

I would also put a generous layer of sealant on the threads themselves, to
hopefully prevent it from leaking at all.   Doing this is going to make it
very difficult to remove the cutlass bearing housing in the future.

If you have any suggestions or tricks to make these threads watertight
again, please do let me know.  How about a thread sealant that would solve
this problem and still be possible to unscrew in the future?

Ideally though, if you have a cutlass bearing housing you'd be willing to
part with, please let me know!

Thanks
Greg
hull #165