[Public-List] Alberg 30 Sail Plan

Daniel Swords danielswords at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 04:50:08 PST 2021

    These are just my personal observations on my Alberg 30 (hull 525) sail plan. I do not race or cruise in the open ocean, my wind speed estimates are based on data from local area wind speed sailing and weather smart phone apps, and I always sail singlehanded. So while this works for me it may not apply to you and I apologize in advance for the long text:    I switched years ago from a 150% furling genoa to a 135% and then to a 110% genoa. I found that the 150% and 135% both too quickly overpowered my boat in moderate winds (above 15 knots while sailing close hauled) and were slow and difficult for me to tack singlehanded. Also, they didn’t work well for me in combination with a reefed mainsail and were difficult to see around while singlehanded.     My 110% headsails allows me to still use the jib sheet cars on the toe rail (moved as far forward as possible) and to run the jib sheets outside of the shrouds for trimming (I don’t think the toe rail jib sheet cars would work well with a smaller 100% jib?). I am able to tack more easily and quickly singlehanded and with far less fouling of the jib sheets on the forward hatch or the halyard winches and cleats while tacking.  As a bonus I also have better visibility forward and leeward around the sail, the sail is easier to trim and much quicker and easier to furl without flogging, especially in strong winds.     But most pleasantly for me I find the 110% genoa to be much more versatile and balanced and to have less weather helm under a much broader range of wind speeds than a larger genoa. I find my boat has only a slight and pleasant weather helm under full sail when close hauled up to maybe 15 - 17 knots of wind. Between 17 - 20 knots with a single reefed mainsail my boat helm is very neutral when close hauled. And between 20 - 25 knots of wind with a double reefed mainsail and a full 110% genoa my boat has only a very slight and easily manageable lee helm. So I am able to use my fully unfurled 110% genoa in all wind conditions up to approximately 25 knots while sailing close hauled. And in all of these conditions my boat remains balanced enough that I have been very successful at setting up and using sheet-to-tiller self steering. Between 25 - 30 knots I furl my 110% genoa about 80%. While this is not a greatly effective storm jib but it is a reasonably flat sail and allows me to sail and to tack on a close reach in these high winds with enough control to avoid leeward hazards and to fight my way (uncomfortably) toward an upwind destination. But more importantly I also find that in these high winds if I completely furl my headsail, with a double reefed mainsail trimmed flat and the tiller lashed to leeward, my boat will fore-reach in a “hove-to” condition (while I go below and fix some coffee) without fear of tacking or jibing.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone