[Public-List] Alberg 30 Sail Plan

Rolph Townshend joanrolph4 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 07:53:26 PST 2021

Dave - First of all, your boat was delivered in 1964. #50 came to Annapolis
in November 1964. Mine was #76, delivered to Annapolis in June, 1965.

One thing you should remember is that the A30 is a "ONE DESIGN BOAT" , that
is, as far as we can, we should keep all of the boats alike. When you go to
sell one with electric power and batteries you are selling a vastly
modified A30. It is no longer an A30! And you have spent a vast amount of
money to make it so!!..The Grey Marine was the engine in all of the early
boats and it worked quite well. The overhaul of a Grey costs about
$2,500-3K . Your boat, with an overhauled Grey should be worth at least $10
K, depending on its other condition. Good ones here in Annapolis go for
$15K.  The A30s all had a 15 gal fiberglass gas tank in the starboard
cockpit seat and that would run the boat for about 20 hours or more At 6-7
knots. If you have more gas tanks in the lazaret they are unnecessary.
Remove them! I do not remember that the Grey weight was as much as you say.
I think it was more like 300#. The A30, as it was designed and built, is a
wonderful boat - modified as you plan makes it "not so wonderful'. You will
be modifying the basic design - the various dimensions that make it
balanced and make it sail perfectly.
There was a dealer in New Jersey that did a great job of overhauling Grays.
Look them up - they may still be there.
Rolph Townshend, Annapolis, MD (former owner of #76 and #550)

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 9:59 AM Gordon Laco via Public-List <