[Public-List] Alberg 30 Sail Plan

Kris Coward kris at melon.org
Thu Mar 11 09:49:08 PST 2021

As someone who's repowered to electric, I have to raise the objection
that there's nothing in the class rules about having an internal
combustion engine. Moreover, I don't know how things are about this down
in the Chesapeake, but up here in the GLAA, we recently awarded some
racing flags to Into The Blue (Richard and Margaret's boat), which was
repowered to electric a few years ago.

That said, although I wouldn't consider a boat as no longer being part
of the class for a repower, I certainly would for pulling the keel? I
mean aren't there a handful of lead-keeled A30s out there in the world
that aren't class legal because their lower centre of gravity gave them
too much of an advantage?

In terms of strong disincentives to replace the keel with batteries
(beyond difficulty of removing the keel, and compromising one-design
membership), I have another couple of cents to throw in:

I've got a single 48V bank made up of 4x 12v group 31s, because those
are the batteries whose weight added to the motor weight are about the
same as the weight of the A4 I repowered from (and they provide enough
range for my willingness to bob around waiting for the wind to pick back
up in non-emergency situations -- the A4s legendary reliability is
something I've never experienced first-hand, so that willingness is
high).

Now last winter, I had to do some work on the AC panel, and while I was
doing it, the ring terminal on the end of the cold wire leading the the
propulsion battery charger, well it came a little loose. Because of a
combination of the pandemic, and my port chainplate gently suggesting to
me that it was time to finally upgrade hose bolts from 1/4" to 5/16", it
was around mid-July (maybe even late July) by the time I was getting out
for my second sail of the season -- and the battery bank was appallingly
deeply discharged, because I hadn't paid close enough attention to the
battery monitor when plugging Candy Cane back in to recharge. The
voltage on the bank had dropped to something like 20V. Between winter
self-discharge, migration from my winter slip to my summer slip, and my
first sail of the season, I'd basically run those batteries flat enough
to have made garbage of the whole lot of them (and by garbage, I mean
130Ah batteries only being able to push 10-15A for maybe 45 minutes
before the motor started seeing insufficient voltage).

Fortunately, that's only about 300lb of battery, so the replacement cost
of ~$1k on the bank, while painful, is totally survivable.

If you replace the keel's weight all with batteries, you're looking at
3500lb of battery, which is more like $10k -- which would be plenty to
have me looking at reinstalling the iron keel and repowering back to gas
as a potentially cheaper alternative to replacing the batteries.

If you're really got the desire to go electric, consider spending what
you'd otherwise spend on a massive battery bank, on a more modest bank
and a genset. The electric motors are small enough that you can easily
fit a genny in the newly-liberated space in the engine compartment,
which pumps out enough watts to keep the motor pushing the boat through
the water at a decent cruising speed indefinitely, and you'll almost
certainly notice a huge fuel savings even if you power the motor
entirely off the genny.

Cheers,
Kris

Kris Coward					http://unripe.melon.org/