[Public-List] corroded rudder

Stephen Gwyn stephen.gwyn at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 14:52:58 PDT 2021

Hi,

While there is some "meat" left at the middle bearing, when I put
my calipers on the shaft, find that 0.6 inches are left, which translates to
just 36% of the original strength. Not great. And that 0.6 inches was
measured
on top of the crud; there will be less left after sanding down to clean
metal.
Basically, the approach of just cleaning it up and putting in a delrin
bushing,
while seductively cheap and easy, isn't really a seaworthy solution
unless I
confine my sailing to quiet weather.

I have a 1972 boat, #495. None of the pictures on the website are from
that era, as far as I can figure out. The older boats also had fibreglass
tube going up to the cockpit, above the waterline. Mine has a stuffing
box at the hull.

What I'm trying to get from this group is some idea how the later
rudders were built, whether it was all one continuous carefully bent
shaft, or
two parts or...

SG