[Public-List] corroded rudder

Stephen Gwyn stephen.gwyn at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 09:17:58 PDT 2021

Hi all,

Thanks for people's input. This would be a lot easier if we were all
standing around the rudder in person.

Michael Connolly:
So if the diameter of the shaft was originally 1", and it's only 0.6"
now, then the cross section is 0.6 squared = 0.36 of
the original, hence my figure of 36%. If instead the original diameter
was only 3/4" inches, then the remaining strength is
(.6/.75)^2  = 64%, still not great, but much more acceptable. However
all the bits of brass I can see are 1", which
is also the diameter specified here:
http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/Steering/RudderPost/rudderstock.png

Rolph Townshend
The picture you sent is stripped by the list. Only the people who were
directly cc-ed got it. Could you send
it to me: stephen.gwyn at gmail.com

David Sherrer:
I'm having difficulty visuallizing this set of screws you mention which
would allow removing
the rudder without pulling out the rudder post.
Can you mark up this picture? The black line shows where I believe there
is metal.
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Ky6-0fM_gAQJuF_6HLCkT6DAGtF1at4OWv6uC1YvTTE/edit?usp=sharing
When you say you're in the North West, are you in BC or WA. I'm in Victoria.

Thanks,

Stephen