[Public-List] Alberg 30 Sail Plan

Mike Meinhold meinhold272 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 11:18:33 PDT 2021

Diesel electric is a good technology for ships when it serves the
arrangements well.  If you are forced into compromises such as a very long
shaft, or increasing section beam aft to accommodate an engine, then it can
pay off.  It works well for vessels that use as much electricity for house
or for weapons as for propulsion. In these cases physically separating the
energy conversion from the propulsion motor can work well.  In an A30 , you
simply add weight and complexity to go diesel-electric, unless you
significantly reduce the requirements for speed and range.   The gains in
propulsive efficiency will be small - we already have a good match with
small diesel and gas engines - so for matching peformance, your diesel
generator will have to generate 16 or so horsepower, and you will need a 16
hp motor.  You could use a smaller engine combined with batteries , and run
it longer , but that will get heavy quickly.

For those willing to limit their A30 to daysailing or short cruises, and
who have power at the pier to recharge, all-electric might work, replacing
the fuel storage.  Let's say I want a minimum 3 hours of 6 knot steaming in
my batteries. That's 3 hours at 12 kw, 36 kw-hours. at 12 volts that's 3000
amp-hours, or quantity  30 12V, 100 amp-hour batteries. A 16 hp (12 kw)
electric motor is smaller and lighter than a 16 hp diesel, gaining you say
4 or 5 100 amp-hour batteries - maybe more if you can be weight-efficient.
You could replace that energy nightly , but would need a fairly
sophisticated charging system to deliver 36kw - hour in say 12 hours, so
3000 watts. At 120 V that's 25 amps, just below a 30 amp dock connection.

At a mooring the required solar panels are going to be very heavy and large.
   A quick look at solar panels finds 320 watts peak in a 1.7m  x 1 m
panel. Lets say I can fit 3 of those somehow, getting 1.6 kw peak.
Assuming about 5 peak hours ( residential panel sizing uses numbers like
this) we get 8 kw-hours/ day so need 2 days to fill the batteries back up,
allowing me to daysail every 3rd day.

Of course others can have a different use case, but I consider a diesel or
gas engine integral with the A30 design. If I had a customer who wanted a
diesel-electric  or an all-electric 30 foot sailboat, I could help design
it, but it would not be an A30.

Mike
Rinn Duin #272

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 11:54 Gordon Laco via Public-List <