[Public-List] Alberg 30 Sail Plan

Kris Coward kris at melon.org
Tue Mar 16 14:39:15 PDT 2021

To speak to the point of changing the balance by going electric: I
actually sprang for the added cost of longer power lines for the
electric motor so I could move the weight of the batteries further
forward (and therefore also move the centre of gravity forward a bit).

If the angle between the boot stripe and the waterline (and the cockpit
being able to almost drain properly through the scuppers at its forward
end) are any indication, I think that the change is much closer to what
Alberg had in mind for the design, than how Candy Cane had sat in the
water for the preceding 4 decades :P

I will readily concede though, that range under power is much lower with
the electric, unless I bring along a genset -- but then I've never had
enough engine reliability with gas to have ever felt like I've lost out
on anything there.

Cheers,
Kris

Kris Coward					http://unripe.melon.org/