[Public-List] Yanmar 2GM Prop Shaft Removal

Greg Roberts greg at midnight-oil.us
Sun May 9 16:37:23 PDT 2021

Hi Folks,
I am finally hauling out to install the new rudder in 10 days. I'm
doing as much prep as I can think of before hand. The yard is
concerned that pulling the prop shaft may end up being a problem. I
don't have a rudder currently so I'll be towed to the yard. I plan to
loosen the shaft in the coupler and I'll install a collar on the shaft
a few inches inboard of the packing gland to make sure the shaft stays
in the boat... The coupler has two grub screws located at 180 degrees
to each other and there is a keyway at 90 degrees to the grub screws.
The screw heads are square, about 10mm across. The grub screws were
snug but loosened with modest effort. It's my guess that there is not
a nut on the inside of the coupler. Does anyone recognize this
coupler? Is there a nut inside? I have built up a little jig with
three bolts and a shaft collar to pull the shaft out in a controlled
manner.

Regards,

Greg