[Public-List] Cockpit Drains

Jonathan Bresler 262alberg30 at gmail.com
Mon May 10 13:43:14 PDT 2021

Greg,

On pre-liner boat #262, I can reach both cockpit thruhull drain valves from
the access port in the cockpit sole.
One is a Marelon seacock (perhaps this one:
https://www.forespar.com/product522.html) and the other is a ball valve.
Both can be operated from the cockpit via that access port (note to self:
exercise valves when at the boat tomorrow)

Regarding replacement, some folks have cut out a portion of the port or
starboard locker plywood wall below the cockpit sole
and created an access door between the locker and the engine bay. This
might give you much better access than leaning
over the engine.  Have not done this, and have not seen an example, so I am
going on hearsay here.

Jonathan

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 1:13 PM Greg Roberts via Public-List <

> Hi Folks,
> This is another of my crazy questions that is mostly intended explore
> ideas...
> I'm hauling out here in a little over a week and plan to replace all
> of my thru hulls and add proper seacocks. All of them have ball valves
> except the cockpit drains where I installed Marlon seacocks. The
> cockpit drain seacocks are really tough to get to. I have to turn my
> head sideways to slide it and my upper body between the counter and
> the top of the engine. I'm not claustrophobic but my lizard brain
> screams "What the hell" the first few times I do it. It would suck to
> do in any kind of a seaway and forget it if the engine is hot. So I
> either need better access through the cockpit sole, the port locker,
> or I need to move the valves.
> So, here's my question: Has anyone reconfigured the cockpit drains to
> somehow run to above the water line thru holes? I haven't measured how
> far above the water line the cockpit is but there must be some margin
> or we'd get water coming in the leeward drain when heeled. The cockpit
> is sloped forward so I don't think drains aft would work. I'm guessing
> the thru hulls would be just above the water line so I'd still want a
> seacock on them so they could be sealed if there was a problem with
> the leeward side.
> Regards,
> Greg
> P.S. I don't think I can reach them from the bronze inspection port
> but I don't think I've actually tried. Anyway, less holes below the
> water line is still worth discussing.

Jonathan M Bresler
S/V Constance Alberg 30 #262
Annapolis/Eastport MD