[Public-List] Gooseneck slide

Jeffrey Randall jcrandall1956 at gmail.com
Mon May 10 15:19:48 PDT 2021

The wooden spacer behind the stainless slide where the gooseneck travels
was crumbled and rotted.  I took out all but the bottom screw  and broke
off the second from the bottom.   ( key the swearing.. it was going so
well). I left the bottom round head screw that stops the gooseneck from
falling to the deck. I fitted a piece of wood replacement.   And then I was
able to replace 7 of the flat head screws.   I tried to tighten the bottom
round head screw and BAM. Broke that one.

The problem. I'd rather not  remove all the screws again.  Would you drill
out the broken bottom two screws with the stainless slide in place and use
the plate as a "drill guide " and increase by one size either by self
tapping screws.  I've not had great luck hand drilling screws

I think I could take the SS slide to a metal shop and have them drill a new
location for the bottom round head screw between the broken screw holes
thus recovering some of the missing strength.  I would not have to drill
out 2 broken studs, only one hole to tap for the single bottom screw.  The
boom almost never sails this low.  The bottom of the slide is really just a
resting place when you drop the sail. Most of the higher boom strain is
well up the slide where I have 100% strong screws

Or will this become one of those fixes I'm never quite happy with

Sincerely,

Jeff Randall
Yankee Star. 296