[Public-List] Cutlass bearing and dripless packing gland

Greg greg at midnight-oil.us
Thu May 20 21:54:20 PDT 2021

Hi Folks,Ayla is finally on the hard and the survey went well.The surveyor suggested that the hose for the gland be replaced. The yard manager is suggesting a dripless pss.  The labor for installing the new gland is the same rebuilding the current gland. What are the tradeoffs? I believe the classic packing gland fails gracefully. How about the dripless units?The stern tube looks different than what has been described on the alberg site. No set screws or any cap. Any idea what model it is? 7/8" shaft. I can send pictures...Regards,Greg