[Public-List] Dinghy solutions

Stephen Gwyn stephen.gwyn at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 17:38:11 PST 2021

I use a nesting dinghy:

http://astrowww.phys.uvic.ca/~gwyn/pers/sailing2008/big/mediumP1020710.JPG.html
http://astrowww.phys.uvic.ca/~gwyn/pers/sailing2007/desolation/medium2007.desolation.3.01660004.JPG.html
https://photos.app.goo.gl/43WFj6S3NaYW8qN77

It fits nicely on the foredeck. No dragging behind the boat and
it rows well unlike most inflatables.  You throw both halves over
the side and bolt them together, which with practice, takes about
5 minutes. Downside is that's almost, but not quite impossible to
assemble with get at least some water into the boat. But each half
is light enough that it's pretty easy to haul back on board.

I got mine from the fellow who built it out of relatively cheap
plywood. His second version (better plywood) was on his boat and
the third version (foam boards and glass) with under
construction.  My dinghy has had a lot of rotten wood removed,
replaced, and the join glassed over. In some of the photos you
can see the glasswork over the repairs before I painted it
properly.

The design is called Two Bits, by Danny Greene,
who also designed the Chameleon, which looks a bit nicer.

SG