[Public-List] Traveler stops

Michael dickdurk at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 05:41:10 PDT 2021

I think we have discussed before Surprise and Checkmate sharing the same
NicoFico traveler Gordon. A bit disconcerting to see it referred to as
obsolete- I mean, just because the Co. is out of business 20 years? lol.
What was obsolete was the original traveler, a friction sliding
arrangement that responded best to being beat on with a Wilcox
Crittendon winch handle, so I'm at a double layer obsolete level here.
I went with pin cars on either side of the block car, and am generally
happy with that compromise, keeping spaghetti in the cockpit down. It's
a little awkward pulling the car to windward (almost always my
situation) but doable.
I did upgrade the Genoa track to Harken ball bearing track and car, and
it uses tackle to adjust sheeting angle, so I am familiar with
infinitely adjustable strings. I have to say it's nice to be able to
adjust under load, but the reality is I don't adjust that often. I would
have preferred a pin arrangement on that system also (like the original,
without needing the winch handle treatment), it wasn't offered.

Michael Grosh