[Public-List] deck mounted bilge pump

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Sep 15 02:06:28 PDT 2021

Good morning,

It is possible that all that is wrong with the pump is a bit of debris stuck in one of the pump’s two valves.  You can clear this by removing the large hose clamp which secures the main diaphragm of the pump to the yellow aluminium casting, then running a finger through each valve.

If a valve or the diaphragm is torn, you can very easily order new parts which come in a kit.  Whale of Ireland is still in business, but very inexpensive parts from knock-off companies are readily available.

I would suggest that a functional manual pump is not only the law, if you are in Canada, it is good seamanship.  An electric pump is the one that is the ‘would like but not need’ side of the equation.

Cheers,

Gordon Laco
Surprise 426