[Public-List] Water tank repairs

Stephen Gwyn stephen.gwyn at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 08:43:43 PDT 2021

I did the water tank repair. I would say the worst
step is the first step, removing the cabinetry. Mostly
because of the very real possibility of messing up
the joinery. I spent maybe 3 hours trying to figure
out how few screws I could remove and still get
the cabinetry out. Then about 30 minutes removing
them.

I didn't reseal the bottom with epoxy, but I should have.

I reused the aluminum top, but coated with West System
epoxy after using their aluminum etching kit. If I was doing
it again, I'd source guaranteed food safe epoxy as a last
coat.

For the sealant, I used Life Calk Polysulfide sealant. I called
BoatLife to ask which of their products was appropriate
for a water tank, in terms of food saftety. I got
put through to their chief chemical engineer. She immediately
and without reservation recommended polysulfide for this
application followed by a nerdy discussion about its components
and how, while water is required for polysulfide to cure, none leach
back into the water. It does take a good solid week to cure
however which less good.

SG