[Public-List] deck mounted bilge pump

Stephen Gwyn stephen.gwyn at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 16:34:15 PDT 2021

One more go around on the Whale pump (made in Northern
Ireland, the country that built the Titanic...)

To address Americo's comment: Yes, electric pumps
won't work if the batteries die. I've never had a dead battery,
but I have had a cracked diaphragm in my Whale pump.

To address George's comments: Your experience is very
different from mine. You find that the mean time between failures
is higher for the manual pump, whereas I find the reverse.
Hmm. Do we need more data?

The other comment I have is that both times I found
water over the floor boards, it was very reassuring to
know that I could start looking for leaks while the electric
pump took care of the current water. In both cases,
the reason was trivially fixed and solvable even if I had
had to man the pumps, but if it had been trickier and
I had get to the cockpit every 5 minutes, that would
have been... stressful.

SG