[Public-List] Dolor sailor on Alberg 30 made it to Hawaii, broken rudder

Wade Wall wade.wall at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 05:27:52 PDT 2021

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I posted a link to an Alberg 30 sailor who was sailing to
Hawaii and broke his rudder. He made it to Hawaii by sailing with a drogue
to steer. Video is here:

https://youtu.be/1AZXXKj0p0s

He discusses how he thinks the rudder broke toward the end. Basically, he
thinks something hit it on the aft edge, but I just don't see how that
could happen without the tiller being lashed to starboard or port.  I
haven't asked him if his tiller was lashed, but just curious if anyone had
any thoughts.

Wade Wall
Sophie #421