[Public-List] About the list (was: Sheet-to-tiller steering)

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Sep 26 16:58:11 PDT 2021

Daniel,

This is simple email, though the messages are also archived on the
server (http://lists.alberg30.org/pipermail/public-list-alberg30.org/).
Since there are 289 email addresses subscribed, plus the archives, you
don't want to post anything you don't want the world to know.

If you want to send a private message, send it to the person's actual
email address rather than to the list.

This is a little more complicated than it should be. Because of
poorly-designed anti-spam safeguards by many ISPs, including some of the
largest, the list has to "munge" the from address so that the mail comes
from the domain hosting the list.

If you look at the headers, you'll see the From header specifies
   Daniel Swords via Public-List <public-list at lists.alberg30.org>
This means that plain replies go back to the list, even though it shows
your name. This is not how email was designed to work, but corporations
such as AOL have decided they don't need to follow the Internet RFC
standards.

There is also another header
   Cc: Daniel Swords <danielswords at yahoo.com>
which shows your actual email address. When I want to reply just to the
sender, I do a "reply all," delete the list address on the reply, and
change the outgoing "CC" to "To."

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org