[Public-List] Teak Decking System Caulk

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Apr 20 04:29:14 PDT 2022

Good morning Mike,

I’ve heard good things about that caulking.  In addition to good adhesion and remaining flexible, it has some anti-UV properties that help it remain useful as it ages.

In my wooden boat days I was a great believer in SikaFlex, but it doesn’t seem to adhere to fibreglass as well as to wood.  LifeCaulk, which I dismissed back then, is actually pretty good on glass.  Last year when I re-bedded my cap rails (Surprise is also a liner boat) I used 3m 4200 because the day I needed it I couldn’t find anything else.)  and that seems to have worked very well.  Note ‘4200’ not the devil juice ‘5200’.

Gordon Laco
426 Surprise