[Public-List] What finish to use on teak cockpit seats

Stephen Gwyn stephen.gwyn at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 10:14:34 PST 2022

I live in Victoria BC. I have a heavy hand with the teak oil and
I've had zero problems with losing the non-skid effect. I've also
had zero problems with mold on the teak cockpit seats. Both the
teak oil and the teak itself have lots of excitingly poisonous chemicals
in them. Lots of problems with mold and lichen on the fibreglass decks
though.

I always check out the garbage skip at the marina on the way to the
boat. One day
I found someone was throwing out a deck's worth of teak from some
Taiwanese built boat from the 1970s. I grabbed it before anybody else
did. One of the boatyard guys also had his eye on it, but he was living on
his boat at the time so didn't have any place to store it.
It required a bit of cleaning and planing and of course none of it was
straight,
and all of it had holes every 18 inches, but gorgeous old growth oily stuff.
It's been pretty useful over the years. I replaced the inlay on the
companion way hatch, made doors between the V-berth and the anchor
locker, a picture frame and a cutting board.

SG