[Public-List] The Rescue

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Sep 5 06:16:46 PDT 2022

Hello again,

I forgot part of the story…

When we arrived at Killbear Marina, I wanted to refill our #2 fuel tank so as to be able to start back down the coast with our full range available to us.  I knew we’d be getting much lower mileage per fuel consumed.

It was windy, the southerly having come up as we arrived, and I decided I wanted to put our port side to the wharf, that being the side #2’s filler cap is on.  The wharf had a finger better parallel to it, leaving a sort of embayment about 40’ wide.  SURPRISE is of course just over 30’ long, but I figured I’d come in, do a static turn and lay our port side to the gas dock.

The wharf being wooden, part of my plan was to touch her bow to the wharf part way through our spin and push a bit with the rudder hard over and engine idling in forward to augment the static turn…  that would have worked out very well if not for a bunch of ‘helpoids’ who didn’t understand what we were doing.

Four people rushed over to us and grabbed our bow pulpit and shoved us astern.   I knew they didn’t understand we were under control so didn’t try to explain, I just overpowered them with a burp of throttle, pushing SURPRISE’s bow up where I needed it to be and let the rudder push the stern to port.   At that point I shouted… ’thanks, but just let go please’.  They did,  I let the last pressure of the well meaning helpers arms push us back a foot or so, then with the helm still hard over gave a burp of forward; SURPRISE stopped, but continued her static turn, spinning to starboard.  Then a burp of astern… then a burp of forward and presto, SURPRISE slid her port side up to the wharf.    One of the helpers said to another ‘Oh, he has a bow thruster’.   I was quite pleased to hear that.

Gord
426 SURPRISE