A30 #319 struck by power boat: UPDATE and request for assistance in my SEARCH FOR MY NEXT SAILBOAT

David Tessier dfjtessier at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 29 16:40:18 PDT 2022

Many thanks to the many of you who got in touch with me following my post of 12 August 2022 (copy below) re my A30 #319 Trois Bouleaux following an impact by a speeding power boat one daRK night whilst we were at anchor.

UPDATE: As expected, the estimated cost to repair the damages far exceeded the market value and the insured value of the boat. If pictures of the damage would be of interest, I could send a few along to George. I accepted an offer from my insurance company for the insured value per my policy, and they assumed responsibility for the salvage/parting out/disposal of the boat. Though I am not involved, I am happy to have heard that the parting out process will result in some parts going to A30 owners.

SEARCH FOR MY NEXT SAILBOAT: I am now searching for another sailboat, preferably an Alberg 30 or an Alberg 29 (but not an Alberg 37) to extend our 13-year simple cruising on Lake Huron/Georgian Bay and Lake Superior, to exploring the shores of the lower St. Lawrence River and the northern Atlantic Cdn provinces and US states. I hope to find a well maintained/loved/upgraded boat in good to very-good condition at a correspondingly appropriate price, with solid bones, which I can further enhance (e.g., with wind vane self-steering and low friction UHMW sail track as per my #319, standing rigging, sails, etc. as needed) in order to be cruising by late May 2023. We sailed Trois Bouleaux far and wide with her sails, supplemented with a 6 HP long shaft outboard on the transom when the winds were too light or adverse to set an anchor or get into an anchorage. This time around, we have decided that we should have auxiliary propulsion operable (throttle, gear shift, perhaps electrical starting) from the helm, which leads one naturally to thoughts of a reliable inboard engine, though as Yves Gelinas has amply demonstrated with a 9.9 HP O.B. on his novel outboard engine mount on his A30 Jean du Sud.

REQUEST: I would be most grateful for any suggestions and leads that you may have or come across, to help me in my search for my NEXT SAILBOAT.

With many thanks to all,
David F. Tessier
Kitchener, ON
Canada
dfjtessier at hotmail.com

Copy of my post from 12 August 2022
A30 struck by power boat: Serial number on pre-liner A30
Whilst an anchor one night recently, my A30 #319 was struck ‎by a power boat and severely damaged. Everyone on both boats said they were uninjured. With a demolished cockpit (toe rail, both coamings, pushpit, solar panel and tracker, cleats, primary winches, severed backstay, splintered companionway hatch...) and more (fallen severely bent mast, damaged stem casting, damaged hull/deck joint at point of impact, possibly damaged forestay/furler,...). It is looking to all who have seen the boat as a total loss.

I am working through the aftermath with my insurance company.
Question: I am asked for a photo of a serial number on my A30. Does a 1968 A30 have such a serial number? It seems to me that this re-dates the H.I.N. system.

What a sad mess.

David Tessier, #319