[alberg30] Cabin ladders

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Sun Dec 6 10:19:45 PST 1998

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi Greg, Gordon,
For me, its not a real saiboat unless you have a proper ladder going from the
companion to the cabin sole. That's what I grew up with, and I remember my dad
and I sneering at the boat shows at all kinds of slippery, shin skinning, leg
braking methods of getting down below. On my Alberg 22, Rona and I built a
beautiful teak ladder, attached by strong bronze fittings, and cleats on the
cabin sole to keep it from moving.
So, do you think my globe trotting Alberg 30 Stargazer is going to have one
chrome step off to port on the icebox side, then a clumsy step onto the engine
box cover, then down down to two flimsy, folding teak coffee cup shelves?
Think  again.
The previous owner had to push the face of the enging box forward by an inch
to make room for the volvo, and I think its 'rake' is about the same. A ladder
will lean right against the front of the engine box, and go up to the sill of
the companion way. We already have the hardware, its just the same old
problem, getting back to my ship to finish her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, on a foggy afternoon, and Rona and I are warming up in the cabin,  hot
soup in hand, a bit of wine and bread,kerosene lamps glowing, and a little
heat coming from the Newport heater, and from the corner  of my eye I see the
teak companion ladder, then I'll know I'm on my ship!
Regards, me' hearties,
Lee Trachtenberg
Stargazer #255