[alberg30] Re: Thanks - Question on Average Heeling Angles

Jackie E. Thomas JThomas at lombard.ca
Fri Dec 11 13:49:55 PST 1998

From: "Jackie E. Thomas" <JThomas at lombard.ca>

Thanks Marjorie for taking the time to let you hear your opinion; that's
the kind of info I am looking for.

Regards

Jackie

Marjorie Goettle <mgoettle at erols.com> on 12/11/98 08:13:21 PM

Please respond to alberg30 at onelist.com

To:   alberg30 at onelist.com
cc:    (bcc: Jackie E. Thomas/CENTRAL/CIML)
Subject:  [alberg30] Re: Thanks - Question on Average Heeling Angles

From: Marjorie Goettle <mgoettle at erols.com>

Jackie,

My husband, 2 cats and I cruised aboard our Alberg 30 for 9 months.  We
avoided winter by going to the Bahamas, so we did not address the
northern winters.  We will not take our Alberg 30 to the Bahamas again.
It sailed wonderfully, and handled everything thrown at it as well or
better than many other boats down there.  BUT, after enjoying it for
about 4 months, each day it got smaller and smaller.  Small space
related irritations became big when repeated again and again.  We did
not reach that point on our 3 months in Maine this summer.  We love the
Alberg design, and thus, we are looking for an Alberg 37.

That said, I think that the Alberg 30 whould have been great for one
person on the 9 month's cruise that we made. It makes a great
singlehander's boat. On a limited cruise, one's "stuff" is elsewhere.
For full time liveaboard, in my opinion, an Alberg 30 is not big enough,
even for 1 person.  Where would you hang all your clothes, for example?
Where would you install a big enough heater?  Where would you put your
wet clothes when you came home?

Of course, perhaps my comfort level is different than yours, as I do not
think that I would live aboard any sailboat in a northern winter.  We
have known several couples that tried living aboard sailboats in about
the 40' range in the Chesapeake area.  None did it for a second year.
Each couple complained about condensation making their cloths mold and
dripping on their heads, etc. The Alberg will give you the same
condensation problem as other sailboats. Our Alberg is a "new" one and
thus has a liner.  In theory, condensation is less than on those without
liners.  However, on our recent 3 month cruise to Maine, mildew was a
big problem.  When it rained or was foggy, the "dew" inside dripped.  We
used our kerocene heater to dry out the saloon, but the v-berth area
molded, and I had to clorox it several times.

One couple used condensation in the "small" 39 footer's cabin while
living aboard in Baltimore as the reason for trading their boat with the
man in the next slip's boxy power boat after the first winter.  (Their
second reason was that their cat could not look out of the high windows
while they were away and was going crazy).  That solution did not suit
them either (the cat loved it), and one day after crawling down the dock
to their boat after work in the dark in an ice storm, they quit their
jobs and motored down to South Carolina where they have been working and
living aboard for several years.  As far as I am concerned, there is
only one way to handle a northern winter on a boat -- go south until it
gets warm.

These are just my thoughts.  I am sure that others would disagree.

Marjorie Goettle, Jubilant #435