[alberg30] Re: Thanks - Question on Average Heeling Angles

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Sat Dec 12 01:59:24 PST 1998

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

    I tried living aboard a slightly larger (34 ft) Tancook schooner on
the Potomac in 1959 at the Sailing Marina near Washington National
Airport. Aside from the constant noise of the planes and the screeching
of cars in the nearby railroad yards, it was just too cold. I could not
keep it warm enough. The space was barely enough for just one person who
had books, skis, but not much else. I was working in Washington and it
was a very handy commute and in the spring or fall, delightful. I don't
think I'd have enjoyed it in a Washington summer, either, but in the
winter, no! There were/are people who live in houseboats along Maine
Avenue, and of course senators George Smathers and Gary Hart's "Monkey
Business" that at one time was in the Pentagon lagoon, but those craft
were really small apartments with furnaces, air conditioning, full
electrical wiring, lights, lots of headroom and at least some storage
space.
                                                            - Gordon
White, A-275