[alberg30] Re: bottom

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Mon Dec 7 03:57:30 PST 1998

One more "bottom" question:

    My depth sounder died, bad transponder. Now that Brigadoon II  is
out of the water I am replacing it. The one I had been using was a
Standard Electronics thru-hull type with a nice faired block on the
bottom, but after removing the nut on the inside it does not slide out
easily and will require probably destroying it to remove. I think it is
a little larger than the current "Standard" part. Before blasting it out
and possibly ending up with a hole in the bottom that
currently-available units will not fit, I have been looking at
replacements.
    There are available both the old-style thru-hull plastic units and a
puck with a beveled edge you glue to the inside of the hull that reads
through the fiberglass. Apparently the inside the hull units work ok
except for possibly a little deep-water loss of depth sensitivity.
    However, the Alberg hulls being heavier than the later Clorox
bottles I'd like to know who has a sounder transponder that reads on the
inside of the hull and how well it works?
    My boat also had a prior owner's home-made inside the hull
transponder that was no longer in use (wire cut off) so I am suspicious.

                                                                Thanks,

Gordon White, A 275