[alberg30] Re: bottom

John A Davenport JayDavenport at compuserve.com
Tue Dec 8 15:58:21 PST 1998

From: John A Davenport <JayDavenport at compuserve.com>

Gordon,
        I installed a West Marine depth/speed combo gauge this summer with
an in-hull depth transducer replacing my old thru-hull depth transducer. I
used the old depth transducer hole in the hull to install the transducer
for a speed gauge, which I didn't have previously. Both the thru-hull and
in-hull transducers are located under the forward part of the starboard
settee. For the new in-hull depth unit, I used Life Caulk to seal a piece
of PVC pipe coupling, 4" diameter x about 5" high to the hull. The
transducer fits nicely into the pipe, and can be shimmed easily if
necessary to point down vertically. I filled it with mineral oil from the
drugstore (about $2.00), and sealed the top with a standard rubber seal and
hose clamp. The coupler, rubber seal, and hose clamp come together as a
unit from any plumbing supply store (about $4.00). A slit can be cut in the
rubber seal for the cable.
        While using the gauge this summer, it seemed to work fine. I
noticed no lack of sensitivity. Of course, I was in the Chesapeake, so I
don't know what the situation would be in really deep water. I have heard
that the maximum depth of the unit might be reduced from the normal 600
feet to 300 feet. If so, it is no problem for me. Hope this helps.
        regards, Jay Davenport - Revolution, #526