[alberg30] Re: Question - Average Heeling Angles for A30's

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Thu Dec 10 02:08:33 PST 1998

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

Jackie,
    In my experience the Alberg 30 takes maybe 10-12 degrees of heel in
15 knots and pretty much hangs there until you get way over-canvassed. I
seldom get the rail in the water. I do not find the heel angle is
uncomfortable. I guess this is hull design. She's pretty stiff
thereafter with that conventional deep full keel. This is more heel
than, for example, a 47 ft Sparkman & Stephens I sailed in Maine last
summer, but that was a much larger boat and we never got over 10 knots
of wind. Less heel than the Venture 22 I once owned and basically a lot
more stable a boat. George Dinwiddie could probably comment more
authoritatively on design.
                                    - Gordon White A-275