[alberg30] Re: Question - Average Heeling Angles for A30's

stephen sousa stephen=sousa%eng%emchop1 at fishbowl02.lss.emc.com
Thu Dec 10 08:29:28 PST 1998

From: "stephen sousa" <stephen=sousa%eng%emchop1 at fishbowl02.lss.emc.com>

Jackie,

The angle of heel is relevant to the sail plan with appropriate conditions.
We find that the Alberg will heel between 15 and 20 degrees in most
conditions, dig her shoulder in and just follow a track. I find that
anything between 15 and 20 knots the working jib and main meet those
conditions. We have also used the 140 genoa with a reefed main under these
conditions without any excessive heel.

Bottom line, the Alberg sails well in all conditions with the correct sail
plan. She is very forgiving and generally doesn't place the skipper or crew
a state of fear.

Good luck and I hope this information helps.

Stephen Sousa
Carina Vela

-------------
Original Text
From: "Jackie E. Thomas" <JThomas at lombard.ca>, on 12/10/98 9:25 AM:
From: "Jackie E. Thomas" <JThomas at lombard.ca>

Hi Guys,  since I am considering moving from a C&C25 which sails best and
faster when kept flat and I keep hearing your stories about the heeling of
the A30 I thought I'd pose the questions:

What is the usual heel angle with 15 kts  of wind and is this because of
boat design or is this from owners choice of sail plans ie. overcanvassed?

I love the look and layout of your boats but find severe heel to be tiring
on an all-day sail and I want to know what I am getting into before I buy
rather than after.

Thanks in advance,

Jackie
C&C 25 Contrary