[alberg30] Re: Question - Average Heeling Angles for A30's

Gregg Rennie grennie at pipeline.com
Thu Dec 10 19:31:09 PST 1998

From: Gregg Rennie <grennie at pipeline.com>

Jackie E. Thomas wrote:

> From: "Jackie E. Thomas" <JThomas at lombard.ca>
>
> Hi Guys,  since I am considering moving from a C&C25 which sails best and
> faster when kept flat and I keep hearing your stories about the heeling of
> the A30 I thought I'd pose the questions:
>
> What is the usual heel angle with 15 kts  of wind and is this because of
> boat design or is this from owners choice of sail plans ie. overcanvassed?
>
> I love the look and layout of your boats but find severe heel to be tiring
> on an all-day sail and I want to know what I am getting into before I buy
> rather than after.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jackie
> C&C 25 Contrary
> Alexandra YC - Toronto

Jackie,

While the Alberg30 is known for heeling, in fact being somewhat tender
at first, one of the reasons I bought my Alberg was because of Carl
Alberg's design philosophy of designing boats which sail on their
bottom.  My wife is not an ardent sailor and I needed a boat which would
sail upright.  After two years I haven't been dissatisfied with my
choice.  I've been out with my family in 15 knots with a 155 genoa and
full main and the heeling angle isn't uncomfortable at all. Since the
boat was designed for the San Franciso area, it has no problem in the
winds we see in the Chesapeake or Long Island sound.  Sometimes the
heeling angle seems worse than it really is due to the low freeboard.
The Alberg30 will handle wind and weather better than virtually any boat
built today.  I wouldn't hesitate for a minute.

Good Luck!

Yankee Star #296