[alberg30] Re: Rebedding deck fittings

Robert Kirk kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Dec 14 10:25:18 PST 1998

From: Robert Kirk <kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov>

At 09:40 14-12-98 -0400, Tom Sutherland wrote:

>Also........About your toe rail , Is it all that bad, or are there just
some bad
>sections ?  I replaced a section of mine on the stern and it turned out very
>good. It was one of those jobs I kept putting off because I was a bit
leery of
>doing it but afterwards wondered why I had put it off so long !
>
>After removing the bungs and the screws which held it down the section of
teak
>rail lifted right off. I was surprised to find that it was sealed only with
>silicone sealant. I don't know if this is the usual method but it was the
case
>with this section which appeared to be original.

Tom  (or anyone who'd like to give advice) ... I have a similar problem,
to replace two short sections of toe rail.

I assume you used 5/4 teak to get the necessary thickness; I know it's
expensive and scarce, and I've got some thinner stock, but I can't think of
a way to use anything thinner unless I laminate it, which probably wouldn't
work out well.

How did you bend it,  or did  you just shape thicker stock for the small
curve?

How did you handle the scarfing? I can think of two ways: measure and
cut the scarf angle hoping to get a good joint, , or remove the adjacent
good ;piece and then cut to match.

Did you re-bed with silicone, too?

Cheers,
Bob Kirk