[alberg30] Re: Rebedding deck fittings

Tom Sutherland tomsu at uky.campus.mci.net
Mon Dec 14 20:29:25 PST 1998

From: Tom Sutherland <tomsu at uky.campus.mci.net>

Bob,

On # 412 the stern toe rail is composed of three separate pieces of teak. The
piece I replaced was the starboard corner. This piece is about 12 or 14 inches
long , a little over than 4 inches wide and appears to be almost one inch thick
........well, when I removed this piece I realized that it was only 9/16" thick
with a 3/8x3/8" piece glued  to the aft bottom edge, extending around the
corner.

I was able to duplicate this piece by using a 5/8" piece of teak and epoxying
the rear edge on prior to cutting it out first on a band saw and then sanding it
down with a random orbital sander. The only joint I had to deal with was a
straight butt joint. I made sure my joint was good before I finished shaping.  I
epoxied up the old holes and drilled new ones when the piece was in place. I did
the final sanding after it was installed.

I sealed it down with polysulfied.