[alberg30] Re: Origo Stoves

Marjorie Goettle mgoettle at erols.com
Fri Dec 11 12:27:15 PST 1998

From: Marjorie Goettle <mgoettle at erols.com>

From: Marjorie Goettle Jubilant #435

We have had an Origo 2 burner flush mount unit since '95.  In that time,
we have used it for at least 500 meals with no trouble.  I LOVE it as
compared to the old pressurized model.  That old pressurized thing
spewed flaming alcohol out of the "pump handle" one morning.  We got the
fire out with with an extinguisher after pouring water on it floated the
fire around the cabin.  There was no damage.  It was a close call.
After hours of clean up, we upped anchor, sailed to Annapolis and bought
an Origo from West Marine.

The flame on our Origo is never more than a few inches high.  Neither we
or the insurance surveyer thought that it needed any overhead
protection.  It cooks much hotter than the old monster.  For stuff such
as stove top "baking", I use a flame arrester that I bought in a kitchen
place.  Our only negatives have been the problem of buying alcohol in
way out places such as the out island Bahamas (can't), and the need for
a long, thin butane striker to light it.  We have had problems with
striker after striker.

Our flush mount Origo is just a little smaller than the old Homestrand.
It's width is the same, but the long dimension is about an inch less.
It did not fall through the old cutout, but required new screw holes and
some cosmetic work around the old cutout when we mounted it.