[alberg30] Re: Drain pipes

Dan Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Wed Dec 16 08:05:32 PST 1998

From: Dan Sternglass <dans at stmktg.com>

FINNUS505 at aol.com wrote:

> From: FINNUS505 at aol.com
>
> Hi Bob, Dan,
> The pipes were full of debris and sand.  On both sides they
> drained through the lower part of the cockpit side bulkheads, onto the cockpit
> sole.

I've been able to keep them clear with a heavy (AWG 10) copper wire, but
I agree that they are insuficient. When I got the boat, it had some
deteriorated weather stripping, but I replaced it about 10 years ago
with some self adhesive automotive (door type) weather stripping, and
again 2 years ago. It seals quite well. Another benefit of using this
stripping is that since its under slight compression, the hatches don't
rattle. I recall I had to try a few different sizes, the most common
types were too thick, so they put too big aload on the piano hinges on
the hatch.

--Dan Sternglass
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher of the Skies, #201, Ithaca, NY