[alberg30] Re: drain to bilge and access to engine

Steve Weingart shw at gate.net
Thu Jun 4 07:36:12 PDT 1998

From: Steve Weingart <shw at gate.net>

>> Frank wrote:
>> Well, let me see.....

>> 1) Under my battery compartment, beneath the cabin sole, there is a
>> closed-off area that tends to collect water (dripping from whrever it
>> drips). This area is not connected to the sump where my bilge pumps (1
>> manual, 1 auto) are located so it doesn't drain. Seems to me that it
>> *should* be connect via a drain hole. Is it possible that there is in
>> fact one there somewhere, merely plugged with crud? I'm considering
>> through-drilling the aft section of this area so that it *does* drain
>> into the bilge. Access is very difficult though so I've been puittin
>> it
>> off. Comments? Suggestions?

On Wyvern that connection is open.  The bulkhead stops about 1.5" above the
floor of the bilge so that any water collecting in the space under the
battery compartments flows back into the bilge sump.  I have no idea if
this was done by Whitby, or if it was done later by one of the previous
owners.

I'm not sure how I would go about doing that...Maybe get the bilges bone
dry, then use a hole saw in a drill to cut a 1.5 - 2" hole through the
bulkhead, then coat the wall of the hole with epoxy & some glass cloth.  It
would help to have an especially long-armed gorilla available to reach the
bottom of the bilge with that pesky engine in the way :-)

It would probably be a good idea to drill a hole in the bottom of the aft
battery box and sound the height of the hidden floor with a stiff wire to
make sure that you will be drilling into air and not keel (I have no idea
if the floor of the bilge sump and the floor of that closed off area are at
the same level in all boats, they are in Wyvern).

Cheers,

Steve