[alberg30] Re: atomic 4 & stuff

stephen sousa stephen=sousa%eng%emchop1 at fishbowl02.lss.emc.com
Thu Jun 4 14:21:01 PDT 1998

From: "stephen sousa" <stephen=sousa%eng%emchop1 at fishbowl02.lss.emc.com>

Frank and Fellow Alberg owners:

Frank in the retrofit of # 114 (Carina Vela), we installed a P.S.S.
dripless stuffing box while the motor was removed from the boat. This
particular application lends itself to one adjustment and last for many
years in speaking with other boat owners that have installed the same
system. I can lean over the Yanmar 13 h.p. diesel and make the adjustment
(two allen set screws). When you are ready to rewire your Alberg send me an
e-mail or review Chris Sousa's Alberg Home Page which speaks to the methods
used on #114.

Cheers,
Stephen
-------------
Original Text
From: <FINNUS505 at aol.com>, on 6/4/98 4:36 PM:
From: <FINNUS505 at aol.com>

Hi Frank!

Glad to know someone is as busy as I am!

Didn't know that A30's HAVE  a tiller stuffing box! I've been back there,
and
didn't see one on my boat!  My Dad had an Islander 32 once, and when he
changed from tiller to Edson wheel steering, he had to have a rudder post
stuffing box put in so the quadrant could fit beneath the cockpit sole. One
of
the few jobs he did not do himself, the 'installer' did not attach the
bronze
stuffing box to the stub of the rudder tube well enough, and the boat
nearly
sank when launched, when the seam between the stuffing box and rudder tube
let
go!

As for your access through the cockpit locker to get to the area beneath
the
cockpit sole, you might consider what I have done.

I bought a 14x 16" Bomar plastic access hatch, and installed it in the
cockpit
sole, just aft of the scuppers. Gives EXCELLENT access to stuffing box,
seacocks and hoses for scuppers, and for my volvo, the water pump, which
was
just about inaccesible from the cabin.

There were two problems I discovered, though. One is that with the
vibration
of cutting out the hole for the panel with a Milwaukee Sawzall, I got a
small
amount of delamination between the masonite core and one of the glass
layers.
I countered that by infusing thinnned epoxy (Git Rot) into the split, and
bolting a beam athwartships beneath the cockpit sole, just aft of the
panel.
The second problem is that the Bomar hatch gives a little underfoot, and
while
I do not think it would break under normal body weight, I was worried that
if
someone (foolishly) jumped into the cockpit and landed right on the panel,
there might be a problem. I was going to make a teak cockpit grating for
the
boat anyway, so I'll just make it a little stronger, so that it will bear
any
weight that might be put on it.

Even given these two problems, I would still do the project. Getting such
easy
access to the stuffing box and the back of my engine is worth it.

Good Luck, Frank. Keep me posted!

Lee Trachtenberg

Stargazer #255, 1967

-