[alberg30] Re: teak

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at mail.min.net
Mon Jun 8 19:26:43 PDT 1998

From: "George Dinwiddie" <gdinwiddie at mail.min.net>

> 1. What happens when I take the cockpit combings off? They're bolted to the
> cockpit fiberglass, right? There's no open spaces left in the cockpit when
> they come off, right? I noticed what looked like a gasket, but could be
> bedding compund. How hard is it to get them off? Time to do the teak right.

We've taken ours off before.  There was some sort of very sticky
material there.  Be careful not to crack the teak.  I put it back on
with standard Boat-Life caulk; needs doing again.  Perhaps the
original stuff is better.

> 2. Suggestions for replacing the teak plywood in the lazarett hatches and
> main hatch? I guess first you route out the old stuff, clean it up and then
> replace it with whatever. I was thinking 2-4 inch wide planks, with beveled
> edges, screwed and 5200 into the recesses. What looks good? Someone said
> just paint over them.

There have been a couple articles on this over the years.  I think
strips of teak is the way to go, with polysulfide caulk at the seams.
Mike Lehman and Jim Mennucci have done this work.  Ask them for
advice.