[alberg30] Re: Rudder stuffing box

Matthew Wynn mattwynn at ns.sympatico.ca
Wed Jun 10 16:32:52 PDT 1998

From: Matthew Wynn <mattwynn at ns.sympatico.ca>

Sutherland wrote:

> From: tomsu at uky.campus.mci.net (Sutherland)
>
> >From: Marjorie Goettle <mgoettle at erols.com>
> >
> >We found out that we had a rudder stuffing box the hard way.  When we
> >loaded up to go south in '95, we...............<snip>
>
> >Marjorie: Jubilant #435
>
>                         *       *       *       *       *       *       *
> *       *
>
> Thanks for this little story.........I think I'll repack mine ...
>
> Tom S.
> # 412

We recently purchased Tazar #424. I found water dripping from what
appears to be a packing gland or what Nigel Calder describes as a rigid
stuffing box. However I am not sure if the gland is the problem. Around
the shaft is what appears to be a large nut about 2" in diameter and 2"
long below which is a similar diameter nut about 1/2" long - a locknut
perhaps.  These nuts are on a piece of threaded pipe which is partially
embedded in fibreglass at the base of the rudder shaft on the inside
bottom of the hull.Considering Tazar was built between Tom's #412 and
Marjorie's Jubilant #435, I am assuming this is the stuffing box?? Water
appears to be seeping out from around pores in the fibreglass at the
base of the pipe. I've been reluctant to back off what appears to be the
locknut and attempt to tighten the whole thing because I wondered if I
would end up breaking the pipe out causing a much greater concern -
bloop!!! a real blooper. Does this description match your boat and
shouldn't the pipe be completely embedded in the fibreglass?

Matthew - Tazar #424