[alberg30] sailing an Alberg to Maine

Marjorie Goettle mgoettle at erols.com
Sat Jun 6 09:07:56 PDT 1998

From: Marjorie Goettle <mgoettle at erols.com>

From: Marjorie & Bill Goettle & the cat crew: Jubilant #435

We would like some wise words from those who have done so on sailing an
Alberg to Maine.

We are considering sailing Jubilant up there later this summer.  It is
contingent on our still owning her, as she is for sale.  We would leave
around the last week in July, return by mid-September, and then put her
back on the market.

Our idea is to get north to Penobscot Bay as fast as is comfortable, and
then amble back.  Thus, we would sail up via the Cape May/Block Island
route, thru the Cape Cod Canal, and then do day or overnight hops up.
Although we sailed Jubilant from the Chesapeake as far south as Long
Island in the Bahamas 2 winters ago, we have never sailed north of New
York into fog territory before, which concerns us (the fog, that is!).

We have GPS, Loran (have'nt used it since we got the GPS!), a radar
reflector that ships report that they see, but no radar. We do not want
to put radar on a boat that is for sale.  If you have gone north, did
you have radar?  Would you go again without radar?  Do you agree with
the advice that we have received that August and September are the most
fog free months?  What anchor type held best (we have a Bruce and
Danforths)? Also let us know about the good stuff, as what are
your favorite anchorages and spots to visit?  Any other advice would be
really welcome?

If this all comes together and we go, we would welcome company for any
part of the sail.

Marjorie