[alberg30] #499 in the house

alberg30 alberg30 at planet.net
Sat Jun 6 15:55:35 PDT 1998

From: "alberg30" <alberg30 at planet.net>

Hello, just checking in. Moved the boat from Oregon to Maryland (Herrington
harbor North) in May. Laying up for about 10 months of in-yard work. Plan
to cruise and race by Spring 99 with the club.Hope to accomplish the
following major tasks (you should  see the see the minor ones too!):

-fix the compression at the mastep. Water has gotten into step thru bolts
holding plate to deck and weakened the core. Interior amid ships door won't
close because cabin roof is compressed. Ouch!

-replace exhaust manifold. I think thats the problem. There so much rust
and scaling on the exhaust manifold where it meets the exhaust "jacket"(?)
I was able to break away pieces by hand. Have fumes leaking out into cabin
compartment. Looks like water leaked from somewhere (?) onto this part of
the engine and rusted thru. Question is: is the manifold actually rusted
thru or just the part where the riser meets the engine?

-Get the engine running. Here we go again. I think the mechanical fuel pump
is done. I've tried to blow air thru, but it seems to be clogged. Engine
won't start, sparkplugs show no sign fuel. Can you get the fuel pump
without taking the engine out? Is it worth taking the engine out if you
don't have any serious problems (pistons etc)?

-While I'm at it maybe I should overhaul the carburetor too.

-In want to reinforce the forward chainplate knees, you know the ones in
the v-berth. I've noticed some dimpling of the hull when the shrouds are
tightened, perhaps too much. Looking for related Mainsheet article from
about 1-2 years ago. Have some creaking on the forward deck, but not sure
if this is from weak knees, or delam in forward deck. Deck seems fair and
previous test drillings show no delam. Any idea how to fix this?

-Got to repair a crack in the forward hatch, caused by hatch flying open in
move.

Thoughts from the group?

Joe
"One Less Traveled" #499