[alberg30] Re: sailing an Alberg to Maine

Robert E Johns bobjns at nais.com
Thu Jun 18 06:35:00 PDT 1998

From: Robert E Johns <bobjns at nais.com>

Marjorie

Glad to hear about your planned Maine trip. Barbara and I have sailed Wind
Call (#397) to Maine from Long Island, NY 15 or 16 times, between 1977 and
1994. During the early trips we used dead reckoning backed up with an RDF.
We added loran about 1983 and have had radar since 1990.

Eleven  of the trips were overnights between Provincetown and either
Monhegan Island or Matinicus Rock. This is about a thirty hour sail and 120
nm. Most of the trips were sailed with just the two of us. We consider an
autopilot indispensible on the overnight if there are only two people on
board. (Most of the time you are fifty miles offshore with no land and
often no other boats in sight and hand steering by staring at the compass
is exceedingly tiring.) The autopilot also increases the accuracy of dead
reckoning, which is not so important as long as the loran or GPS works. Our
fuel tank was replaced once, but is the same size as the original (16
gallons). We carry a 5 gallon on the transom for the main engine and a 2
1/2 gallon can for the dinghy engine.