[alberg30] Re: mast step/plate ?

asadeg at flash.net asadeg at flash.net
Mon Jun 22 14:27:46 PDT 1998

From: asadeg at flash.net

Tom.....Don't drill them out!!!!!!

I just removed my step yesterday.  The screws holding down my mast step were
severely corroded.  I have Hull # 493 ('72) and my boat  seems very similar to
yours.

I used a tool called an "impact driver"  Which is a screwdriver which when you
hit the top of it with a hammer it turns the driver 20 degrees.  It cost
$23.00 and was well worth it.  In fact I used it to take off  the severely
corroded screws on the gooseneck track and the spin. pole track on the mast.
I didn't break one screw or rip up any threads on the spar or on the mast
step.  Also, on the mast step, once I loosened the screws with the impact
driver I used the largest screwdriver I could find and used a crescent wrench
for leverage.  Mind you this screwdriver was so big it just fit into the head
of the screws on the step.  I had all six screws out in 10 minutes.

By the way, the end of the impact driver that holds the screwdriver piece fits
into a half inch socket drive.  That $23.00 was well worth it, I'll be using
that tool for years.

Best regards,

Adam Sadeg
Hull 493