[alberg30] Re: mast step/plate ?

Robert E Johns bobjns at nais.com
Thu Jun 25 06:50:22 PDT 1998

From: Robert E Johns <bobjns at nais.com>

>Question; has anyone found they have to move the plate to extreme forward
>position to neutralize weather helm? We still have not sailed Stargazer, so I
>don't know how she will balance. Our alberg 22 used to balance beautifully. If
>I set the tiller 'a bit' to windward with the hiking stick wedged against the
>leeward seat, she would self steer and sail straight as long as the wind held
>constant. I hope Stargazer will balance as well!!
>
>Thanks, friends!!!!
>
>Lee Trachtenberg
>
>Stargazer #255

Lee,

I've always set up Wind Call without sliding the mast step. If I have too
much weather helm, I loosen the backstay, tighten the forestay, and
readjust the shrouds. Theoretically, the mast step should also be moved. On
the Mobjack that we raced before we got the Alberg the step wasn't
adjustable so I guess that I just didn't think about it on the Alberg. I am
not sure how important it is that the mast is vertical in the fore and aft
direction. The racers will have a better feel for this. I set the boat up
with about five degrees of weather helm on a beat in moderate air. I find
that if the wind is forward of abeam that I can ease the mainsheet about
two inches, let go the tiller and the boat will self-steer indefinitely. If
the wind shifts, of course, the course changes with it.

Thanks for the prop information for my friend. I'll pass it on. Our A30
came with a three bladed prop which worked well, but which we changed for a
two bladed prop when we stopped towing a dinghy. I'll check the size and
pass it on. The three blade prop was more effective at powering through
heavy chop and in reverse.

We're sorry to hear about the medical problem and look forward to getting
together whenever it looks good to you.

Regards,

Bob