[alberg30] Re: mast step/plate ?

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Fri Jun 26 00:00:44 PDT 1998

From: <FINNUS505 at aol.com>

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the support on the "M" issue!

The Schmidt's, with #248 and an Atomic 4, tell me that they have very adequate
power with their two blade prop, and further, that when sailing with the
engine off, the the prop aligns itself veriticaly, in the rudder cut out,
presenting minimal drag. This sounds great to me, because, while I dont race,
I would like to get the most out of the old girl, and so not dragging that
third blade around is appealing. On the other hand, I know the schmidts have
not had to power against a nasty chop and strong wind for any time, and so
they may not have had the opportunity to call on the reserve of power of the
third blade.

It is a moot point right now, because it sure looks like I would have to
remove the rudder on Stargazer to get the three bladed prop off. There is very
little clearance between the blades and the rudder, even when you angle the
rudder to one side or the other.

As for the balance issue, it is always a pleasure to sail on a well balanced
boat. The Alberg 22 was a dream in that regard. On the Mobjack, I'm sure that
she would be very sensitive to mast rake. My albacore, 505, Snipe and Finn all
had moveable mast steps, so weather or lee helm could be neutralized while
keeping the mast vertical, which is aerodynamicaly most efficient, (regardless
of what George Steers thought in designing the rig for the original schooner
America. Those early fads!)  Idealy, I'd like to free up my mast step plate,
without cracking it, I hope, and then I'll have the option of a significant
adjustment if it proves necessary.

Always a pleasure, Bob. Say Hi to Barbara!

Lee Trachtenberg

Stargazer #255