[alberg30] Reply to Gordon White and Pete H.

Peter/Michael Hay phay at netcom.ca
Fri Nov 6 13:44:44 PST 1998

Pete H. & Gordon W.
Thanks for your replies.  I obviously don't know my bilge from my belly button.  I assumed that the area below the cabin sole was also known as the bilge.  As you have stated, my batteries are located beneath the sole in the two aft compartments.  The soft material I referred to must be the same as where Gordon indicates he had a small hole.  The difference is that my hole (in the aft sole compartment) is about 6" x 8" and a bilge pump is located in the lower compartment (I assume that the bottom of this hole is the top of the keel).  The second compartment (forward of the first) also has the soft material but hasn't yet been punctured.  The original engine was replaced with a diesel and a new fiberglass pan sits in the engine compartment.  I have not tried to reach forward from the aft sole compartment to see if I can reach under the engine pan.  I will give it a try this weekend since the batteries are out.  I assume the bilge extends under the engine to where the hull joins the keel????
Greetings from the great white north!
Yours
Peter Hay   Rubicon #384