[alberg30] Re: Gudgeon/pintle system

stephen sousa stephen=sousa%eng%emchop1 at fishbowl02.lss.emc.com
Mon Nov 9 06:47:27 PST 1998

From: "stephen sousa" <stephen=sousa%eng%emchop1 at fishbowl02.lss.emc.com>

Richard,

I went through the same process in the overhauling of #114 (Carina Vela). A
company under the name of New Found Metals in Washington State
(360-385-3315)contact Richard provided a pintel and gudgeon set they have a
5/8" pin with a nylon insert, these are designed for the P/S Dana 25. I had
to modify the rudder somewhat by opening the pocket, the strap fits around
the rudder and is attached with bronze hardware. The pintle fits around the
hull exactly without modifications. The other issue that I had with the
rudder is the pin which sets into the rudder shoe. On #114 that was missing,
 I made a new pin from 1/2 bronze stock machining the threaded portion to
3/8" tapped a hole in the rudder post and screwed the new pin into the
rudder.

Hopes this information help.

Stephen Sousa
Carina Vela
-------------
Original Text
From: "Richard Hurt" <rhurt at metro.net>, on 11/7/98 1:09 PM:
From: Richard Hurt <rhurt at metro.net>

Greetings all,

Presently overhauling hull 531, and have been surveying the rudder posts,
gudgeons and pintles, and reviewing the articles concerning same in the
maintenance manual.  It would appear the lower post is gone completely, as
the shoe is beginning to wear away at the glass on the lower rudder.  The
upper pintle is also wearing quite thin.  My question is concerning the
construction of this upper pin.  The drawing in the book shows metal staps
holding the system to the stern and to the rudder.  On my boat the straps
to the stern are readily apparent, but I do not see any straps attaching
the pintle to the rudder.  It almost looks as if the pintle has been
glassed into the rudder. Would appreciate any information as to how the
pintle is attached, and/or any experience anyone has had removing both the
upper and lower attachment points.

Best regards
Rick Hurt #531
Napa CA